Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services

1.Compatibility with state of residence

(1) " Engineer " is defined as activities that mainly engage in work that requires technology or knowledge in the field of natural science , such as mechanical engineering, information engineering, civil engineering, agriculture, and home economics.
"Specialist in Humanities" applies to activities primarily engaged in work requiring skills or knowledge in the humanities, such as education, law, business administration, and accounting.
The " Engineer/Specialist in Humanities " category requires work that requires a certain level of academic background and a level of skill and knowledge normally acquired by university graduates in the field.
As for "requires a certain level of academic background," whether or not the university has established that discipline as a process and, as for the " level of skill and knowledge normally acquired by university graduates in the field," when using qualification exams as a guide, such things as "university graduates usually obtain level ** in these exams" are taken into consideration.
Therefore, knowledge gained through experience is not sufficient. It requires academic and systematic knowledge. Work that requires skilled skills acquired through experience falls under the category of " Skilled Labor ".
(2) "International Services" include translation, interpretation, language instruction, public relations, advertising, overseas business transactions, clothing and interior decoration design, product development, and other activities that require thinking or sensitivity based on the foreign culture.
"International Services” require a certain level of professional ability based on ideas and senses cultivated in the society, history, and traditions of the foreign country, as well as a certain level of sensitivity unique to foreigners, i.e., a way of thinking and sensitivity not possessed by ordinary Japanese people rooted in the culture unique to the foreign country.

(3) Practical training provided at the beginning of employment
If the employee is engaged in work that does not fall under the category of " Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services " such as customer service in a restaurant, sales work in a retail store, or factory line work during the initial training period, it can be permitted under the following conditions.
a. The same shall apply to Japanese university graduates and other employees.
Practical training that is differentiated from Japanese employees is allowed only when there is a reasonable reason, such as for the purpose of Japanese language training.
b. Not for the majority of the employment period.
For example, if the employment contract is only for three years and is not scheduled to be renewed, it is not allowed to provide practical training for two years after employment.
c. In principle, the period of stay is one year.
This is because it is necessary to make sure that you are will be transferred after one year from practical training to the work of " Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services”.   d. For practical training that exceeds one year after employment, the training plan must be submitted.
(4) If the activity falls under not only " Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services " but also either of "Professor", "Artist", " Religious Activities”, ”Journalist”, "Business Manager", “Legal/Accounting Services”, “Medical Services” , "Researcher", "Instructor" "Intra-company Transferee", "Nursing care" or "Entertainment", you will be assigned one of these statuses.
(5) The typical contract to work is an employment contract, but outsourcing is also acceptable if the contract is with a specific organization on an ongoing basis.
It also doesn't matter if you contract with several specific institutions.
In contrast you may fall under "Business Management" as a sole proprietor if you are not under a continuous contract with specific institutions.

2. Landing permission criteria

(1) To receive remuneration equal to or greater than the remuneration that a Japanese person would receive if engaged.
(2)Criteria applicable to " Engineer/Specialist in Humanities "
a. Having graduated from a university majoring in a subject related to the relevant technology or knowledge, or have received education equivalent to or higher than this.
"University" includes overseas universities and junior colleges. Equivalent or higher education" includes colleges of technology.
b. Having completed a specialized course at a Japanese vocational school in a subject related to the relevant technology or knowledge, and having been granted the title of "Specialized diploma" or "Advanced specialized diploma”.
The requirements for granting the title of specialized diploma are as follows.
(a) At least 2 years of study
(b) Total number of class hours required for graduation: 1,700 credit hours or more
(c) Graduation approval is based on the evaluation of grades by examinations, etc.
It is not necessary that the work you do and the subject you major in are the same, but they need to be related. In addition, the purpose of university is not only to acquire specialized knowledge in a particular field, but also to acquire a wide range of knowledge. Therefore, the relevance between major subjects and the work to be engaged in is judged relatively loosely, and the relevance is recognized unless there are special circumstances,.
c. At least 10 years of work experience(Including the period during which the subject related to the relevant technology or knowledge was majored in the second semester of a university, college of technology, high school, or secondary education school, and a specialized course at a special training school )
(3) Criteria applicable to "International Services "
At least three years of work experience in a business related to the work is necessary. However, if a university graduate is engaged in interpreting, translating, or teaching a language in his/her native language, no work experience is required.
University graduates, etc. who have majored in subjects related to "International Services" can be treated as "Engineer/Specialist in humanities".

3. Designated Activities No. 46 (Japanese university graduates)

"Engineering/Specialist in Humanities/International Services" does not allow those whose main activity is service work or manufacturing work.
However, if a foreigner has completed a fourth-year university or graduate school in Japan and has a score of N1 or BJT480 or higher on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) and is engaged in work that requires smooth communication using Japanese (excluding adult entertainment business activities and work with exclusive business qualifications), he or she is allowed to engage in "Designated Activities No. 46" even if the main activity is service work or manufacturing.
In addition, those who have completed a fourth-year university or graduate school in Japan who majored in Japanese at a university or graduate school (including foreign universities or graduate schools) are treated in the same way.
However, in the case of "Specially Designated Activities No. 46," you must be a full-time employee of a specific organization and engage in the work of that organization, so if you change your job, you must apply for a change of status of residence in advance. In addition, the period of stay determined at the time of change of status of residence from "College Student" or at the time of the first extension of the period of stay is one year in principle, which is disadvantageous compared to "" in these respects.
In the case of university graduates, the relevance between the work they are engaged in and their major subject in " Engineer/Specialist in Humanistic/International Services " is judged relatively loosely, and the relevance is recognized unless there are special circumstances. Therefore, unless your main activity is service or manufacturing, it is advisable to consider " Engineer/Specialist in umanistic/International Services " instead of "Designated Activities No. 46”.

Fees for "Engineering/Specialist in Humanities/International Services"

Services Basic fee (excluding tax) Remarks (legal expenses, etc.)

Change of status & Certificate of eligiblity


60,000yen for advance payment.
4,000yen for the legal cost only for change of status

Extension of period


4,000yen for the legal cost(*)

* If explanatory notes or additional documents need to be prepared, 20,000 yen is required as success fee.

*Information publicized by the Ministry of Justice